Following the Election From Abroad.

As I mentioned, this week I was interviewed by Alabama Public Radio, for an NPR style piece (For those of you unfamiliar w/ NPR - Listen to some NPR here). There were actually two pieces being put together by the delightful interviewer, Alisa Beckwith.

She was researching articles on two topics. As my readers seem to fit into both of these boxes, I thought I would ask your feedback on the topics.

For the Expats:
As an American staying abroad, how do you
get information about the US Presidential Election?

Have you decided who you will vote for? How do you get information about the
election & candidates?

What issues are important to you as an American abroad - has living abroad
changed your opinions?

For The Dilli Crowd:

Have you followed this US election, or prior US elections?

What concerns do you believe that the American people should keep in mind as they prepare to vote.

Comments are open - have at it! When the article is posted online, I'll be sure to link to it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the Expats:
As an American staying abroad, how do you get information about the US Presidential Election? Mostly from the internet. I try to read from many different sources to look at all sides of the issues.

Have you decided who you will vote for? Yes, I am pretty confident about my decision,

How do you get information about the election & candidates? Internet.

What issues are important to you as an American abroad - has living abroad changed your opinions?
I don't think living abroad has chaned my concerns dramatically. I think at this point in time all Americans are concerned about the economy and are troops at war.

Thanks, Mary

the latin sardar said...

Hi,

First of all, Gora Desi rocks.

Now, about the US elections. Last time around, I was a little bit clued in but not too much as I was a college student and had too much on my mind already to be bothered about something that was happening half way across on the other side of the planet. But I was hoping for Al Gore to win last time since he is a bit clued into the whole earth melting thing (better not get me started on that one) and was disappointed to see that America chose a man based only on his lineage. A lineage that had already put the whole world at Defcon 1 in 1991. Although that one was not entirely invalid, but the execution of it could have been done better. But the whole thing with Dubya was really overkill. And what the hell is this thing with war veterans. Ok, so John McCain is a Vietnam vet. Ok, he was in a POW camp for 18 months. That is no measure of running for President. It doesn't say anything about the man except that maybe perhaps he's a war junkie.

McCain has repeatedly made it ample clear that he intends to continue a global campaign against terror that costs America $350 million a day and unaccounted number to the rest of the world due to this so called campaign against the so called "enemy". America has been reeling under 9/11 for 7 years already, how much longer does it intend to keep doing it. Isn't it time yet to move on?

Like I've written on my own blog I really hope that the Yankees have learned their lessons. Surely they remember Ben Parker's words "With great power, comes great responsibility..." to Peter Parker. Remember how he too screwed up with his powers. If the Americans think, believe that they are the center of the universe somehow, and my congratulations to them for having achieved (not earned) that status over the past couple of centuries, they must also know that their actions have consequences even half way across on the other side of the planet and that they need to make more informed and better choices than Dubyaman at least.

Dubya really cooked it for all of us. My sympathy with the American voters for the lack of options on the ballot papers, perhaps just as much as I need to sympathize with my compatriots for their lack of available options.

I hope this gives you some input on what an Indian thinks of the American elections.