Karim's Old Delhi


So, not to start a firestorm here, but I've eaten at Karim's several times lately (Tourist Season - so loads of visitors). For those of you uninitiated, Karim's is "The Place" to eat in Delhi. Co-workers, Neighbors, Strangers, Flight Attendants - they will all ask if you have dined there.

I haven't had a meal there I thought was bad, but I'm definitely starting to think it might be overrated.... Does this make me a bad person - Or, is this the secret truth every Dilli Wala knows - but won't admit?

What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find Karims way overrated too... the best food in delhi is to be found at quite unexpected places.. so look around till you find one that suits your taste and dont believe everything people tell you.

shelmes said...

@ viking - I agree. I'm convinced the best Samosa in town is in Moti Bagh south market - some random shop.

Anonymous said...

I have been in Delhi 4 years now and have never liked their food. I have always thought Karims was some sort of a conspiacy...kinda like when your with some one and eat something you turn to you friend/partner and say " Ohh this is gross...taste it."

Preeti said...

i agree ...totally overrated ... therte are many many galli wali shops in delhi that have amazing kababs and chicken tikkas...

Nipun Sohanlal said...

Karims is moody joint... The few times I have been there I have had some excellent pasandas... My next was trip was equally disappointing... Those visiting should hope to get the cook on a good day!! Al Jawahar close by is better on a day to day basis!!

Anonymous said...

you must try the jalebis at Dilli haat! best in the city. I am sitting in frosty London and will be off to the big freeze of DC tomorrow, I miss India and your blog makes me smile. Happy holidays!

lookwhoswearing said...

totally overrated!

it was the place when my dad was in college.. now its just maintained it status primarily coz of nostalgia.

Unknown said...

I love to visit karim's old delhi.Restaurants in Delhi