Del·hi bel·ly

Delhi belly
–noun Slang.
diarrhea experienced by travelers in a foreign country, who are not accustomed to the local food and water.

[Origin: 1960–65; after Delhi, India]

Hey - it happens. I've been pretty lucky so far, but you never can be sure exactly when the Delhi Belly will strike. Before leaving the states, I visited a travel clinic at Northwestern Hospital. After meeting with the RN, I left to fill my prescriptions. After hearing how long I would be in India, the RN had prescribed enough prescription anti-diarrheal antibiotics to stop up a small army.

I dutifully took the prescription to the counter, along with a prescription for a unique anti-malarial (used only in India where the local strain of malaria is uncommon) & an oral vaccine. Before handing over my prescriptions, the pharmacist, who clearly did not realize I was filling an order of travel meds, felt the need to consult with me about my possible drug interactions.

You see, the oral vaccine (which I was to take right away) might interfere with the anti-diarrheal medicines. Suddenly in the middle of a CVS in River North, I'm having a loud conversation with a pharmacist who thinks I have a geyser ready to explode at a moments notice. After a few moments of conversation, I convinced her that i still had control over my bowels... for the time being.

Thankfully, I have not had to dip into my medical reserves yet. Hopefully, I can keep the streak alive.... In the meantime...


0 comments: