Sleep Tight, Don’t Let The Bed Bugs Bite…

Yeah, I bet you always thought that was a cute little saying, right?

Well, this week I had a little bed bugs scare. After spending a week in Mumbai, and leaving my apartment largely unattended & un air-conditioned, I returned back exhausted! Putting my things away, I curled up under the covers of my bed and promptly passed out. After one night, I woke up feeling largely un-refreshed. As I thought back through the night, I realized I was tossing and turning a lot. In fact, I seemed to recall being a bit itchy. I wrote it off to dehydration & headed off to work.

Now, the next night, I woke up scratching my arm at about 3 am. Realizing that maybe something else was going on, I ripped the top cover off, crawled out of bed and scoured the bed sheets. At first, everything seemed normal – but then I realized there were maybe 50 or so tiny black bugs in the sheet. Now fully awake, I rushed to remove the sheet & found even more in the pillowcase. At the base of the bed, in a folded flat sheet I hadn't bothered to put on the bed, I found even more bugs.

Needless to say – I was a little grossed out… well – more than a little! I spent the rest of my night doing laundry and throwing sheets out. Finally around 6 am, I drifted back to sleep (ON THE COUCH!) and woke later in the morning.

Now for the good news, I'm fairly certain (90%) that these are not bed bugs. I'm also fairly certain that whatever they are, they haven't made their way into the mattress either – relief! I put some new sheets on the bed last night & slept like a baby. I'll keep you posted, but I want each and every one of you sleeping in your luxurious pillow top mattresses in the States to think of me being eaten alive by little tiny black bugs.

Oh, and for the record – I'm always accepting donations of DEET powered bug spray.

0 comments: