Lucky Appendage


This is the Bollywood actor Hrithik Roshan. I saw him in a big movie release a few months back in the states. About halfway through the movie - I decided there was something different about him... I just couldn't figure out what it was.

Lucky for me, the movie was about 3.5 hours long, so I had plenty of time to do my slueth work. Finally, I realize what had been staring me in the face all along. It was his 6th finger - a thumb - growing out of a thumb.


An extra appendage is considered lucky in a way here. Hrithik is a major star despite this birth defect, something I'm not convinced would be a possibility in the image obsessed United States.

Still, lucky or not, I always assumed this was a trait that would be treated with a certain amount of care in the media. After all, you wouldn't expect to see a television commercial mocking Oprah Winfrey's weight, or Paris Hilton's lazy eye.... well maybe Paris Hilton.

Anyway, this evening I caught a McDonald's commercial that is running here. Enjoy - and try not to miss the joke!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, there is a guy who is a busboy at an Indian restaurant in Cincinnati who has the exact same extra thumb! Obviously he needs to move to India and find fame and fortune!!