The Richest Men in The Room

A lot of folks have asked me, why on earth I moved to Delhi!

I think this is a fair question - it is after all, a second world country (which basically means everywhere you go is either firmly in first world, or definitely in third world), it is ALL the way on the other side of the world, and I have a pretty good life back in the states (if I do say so myself).

I was reading Forbes today online, doing some research for some high level meetings I have with Reliance Industries & Reliance AMR. These are two HUGE companies in India - frankly in the world. In fact, this week the press is abuzz with reports of Reliance financing the buyout of Dreamworks. In doing my research, I came across the Forbes list of 'The Worlds Billionaires' & this list does a better job explaining why India, than any answer I could give you. Take a look:

  • Warren Buffett
  • US Based Investment GURU!
  • Carlos Slim Helu
  • Mexican Communications Barron
  • William Gates III
  • Bill Gates - No need explaining
  • Lakshmi Mittal
  • Heads worlds largest steel manufacturer - Indian
  • Mukesh Ambani
  • Asia's richest resident heads petrochemicals giant Reliance Industries, India's most valuable company by market cap. His fortune is up $22.9 billion since last year, making him the world's second biggest gainer in terms of dollars.
  • Anil Ambani
  • The year's biggest gainer, Anil Ambani, is up $23.8 billion in the past year, and is closing gap with estranged brother, Mukesh, who ranks one spot ahead of him in the world at number five.
  • Ingvar Kamprad
  • IKEA founder
  • KP Singh
  • Singh is now the world's richest real estate baron after listing his real estate development company DLF in 2007. The offering helped triple his fortune to $30 billion this year, up from $10 billion. (DLF developed Gurgaon... not parts of it... ALL of it)
  • Oleg Deripaska
  • Russian Aluminum Barron
  • Karl Albrecht
  • German Retail Giant (Aldi)

  • So, there you have it, 4 of the 10 richest men in the world, all have roots in the Indian Market. All four are doubling & tripling their wealth and their countries wealth. The growth of this market is dramatically outpacing growth rates in the US (admittedly a larger economy). It is boomtown here, and I'm along for the ride.

    0 comments: